Homestay or Private Accommodation?

Not sure about which type of accommodation suits you best? Why not take this quiz and find out!

1. Do you want to provide a family environment for a student?

2. Do you want to learn more about other cultures?

3. Would you like to provide meals and possibly transport for the student(s) living in your house?

If you have answered yes to two or more of these questions, it looks as though you are a fine candidate for Homestay.

Want more information? Contact the Homestay Coordinator, whose details you can find here

What's the difference between the two? Aren't they the same?

Homestay offers students (generally newly arrived international students)the opportunity to experience the Australian culture first hand living with an Australian family. This helps them settle in to their new environment much more easily, gives them an opportunity to practice their English with English speakers in their Homestay family and community environment while also living in a safe and secure family environment with people that care about them. Homestay students also have their meals provided by their host family. 

UOW StudyStays is provided for people to advertise a vacancy in their home or a fully vacant property to UOW students and staff directly. This is generally, but not always or mandatory, an agreement managed on a contractual agreement. We recommend an official lease is completed, and bond taken and lodged with NSW Fair Trading (see here for more details) to protect all parties involved. You are not required to provide anything extra in the agreement (such as meals, transport etc) unless discussed and agreed upon by all parties.

Want more information on how to make your listing more appealing to students? Click here!