In this page you will find some handy tips and tricks for setting up your place, eating and living on a tight budget, as well as links to sites that may be of use.
Setting up my new place: How do I do it? What do I need?
There are many affordable ways of setting up your new place. You will need the following items:
- Kitchenware (plates, cutlery, utensils, cups, glasses, refrigerator, kettle, pots and pans etc.)
- Cleaning equipment
- Manchester (sheets) and bedding (pillows, doona/quilt etc.)
Where can I find a job?
You can check the local papers for casual and part time work, as well as the Careers Central pages on the UOW website. Careers Central offer many local jobs for students, including work on campus.
International students: Make sure you have applied for and been given Work Rights on your visa before you go looking for any work.
You can get some great bargains at the local Op Shops and second hand shops. All of these items of clothing are checked and washed carefully before being put out for sale. There are also many great shops in the local shopping areas around the Illawarra:
- Wollongong Central
- Westfield Figtree
- Westfield Warrawong
- Stockland Shellharbour
- Stockland Corrimal
- Stockland Kiama
- Dapto Mall
If you are setting up your kitchen for the first time, doubtless you are going to need a few things! Your basic list would most likely look something like this:
- Plates - dinner (big) and bread (small)
- Cups and glasses
- Wooden and/or plastic spoons for cooking with
- Pots and pans - assorted sizes. The basic lot would be a small pot with a lid and a large pot with a lid and a frying pan.
- Toaster - unless your kitchen has a griller you can use, although toasters are easier!
- Pans for baking and oven cooking
- Cutlery - ie. knives, forks, spoons etc.
- Cleaning equipment - sponges, washing up liquid, tea towels and dishcloths, cleaning solution.
Green cleaning - click here for ideas on how to keep a green clean house for cheap!
Bedroom & bathroom
Cheap bed linen and towels are easily found, op shops can be a great place to find factory second sheets, bedding and towling and there are places like KMart, Big W and Target that sell everything you need to set up your bedroom and bathroom. Don't forget you will need shampoo, conditioner, soap and cleaning products for your bathroom! All these are available from your local supermarket or shops, as well as KMart etc.
Eating on a budget:
Living on a budget:
A great way to ensure you have enough money each week/fortnight/month is by making a budget - and sticking to it! Click here to find some help on how to make and stick to a budget.